Tuesday, January 3, 2012

From Out of the Darkness and Into the Sunlight

So I was reading one of my favorite blogs today, The Bloggess, and as usual, she posted something that was very poignant and hit very close to home. You can read about it here. If you're lazy like me and you don't want to read it, I'll sum it up for you. She talks about depression and how people who suffer with it are survivors too. Only they're not called survivors because most people don't realize that others have it or are fighting it. And how everyone matters, because they do. I suggest reading it because I really can't sum it up as well as she does.

I have depression. I have had it most of my life. I also have anxiety. I haven't had that nearly as long, but I've had it quite a long time. Too long in fact. I try not to let the darkness of depression pull me from the sunlight of happiness. I'm not always successful with that. When I'm down, I'm very down and it isn't fun. But when I emerge from the darkness and walk back into the sunlight, I always feel victorious. Because I won. I didn't let it beat me. So while that I can, I will soak up the sunlight of happiness and live for it, because who knows how long it will last before the rainclouds come and drag be back into the darkness.

No comments: